It is surely nice to own a Newfoundland dog, but great responsibility goes with it as well. If you whether have got a dog or you are planning to buy one (or just being curious and reading), here are few advices that may be useful. Yes, there are many things that a dog owner should pay attention to and it’s probably impossible to mention them all, but here are a couple of examples.
1. Always be patient with your Newfoundland dog. Newfoundland dogs are known by their calm nature and called “gentle giants”, so if your dog is patient, it will be great if you could be patient at least as it is.
2. Always clean the mess that your Newfoundland dog leaves behind. Yes, it can be boring (and not pleasant of course) sometimes, but keeping your house clean is important for both of you and your Newfie.
3. Don’t ever hit your dog. It’s never necessarily to do it. So what if your dog didn’t manage to succeed at certain training task at his first attempt? Newfoundland dogs are usually easy to train and there so no reason for getting upset if your dog needs a bit more time than you expected.
4. Don’t be lazy to take your Newfoundland dog for a walk. Your dog should be taken for an at least one walk a day. It will help your dog not becoming fat and it’s good for its health overall.
5. Play with your Newfoundland dog. Besides training and walking your dog, sometimes it’s good just to spend your time with it. Game choice is up to you, if you are out of ideas, you can search for some advices HERE.
6. Reward your Newfie when it successfully completes the task that you gave it. The award can be some kind of a treat, or simply saying “Good boy/job” to it.
7. Always supply enough water for your Newf. Newfoundland dogs like water a lot, but they also need it for cooling on warm days.
8. Give your dog a name. Well, this might doesn’t fall under the “tips list”, because it’s normal that people are giving their dogs names, but in case that you can’t decide, here are a couple of name ideas for your Newfoundland DOG.